JK-IDE Version 2.0 including Visual Designer V 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Jim,

Ctrl + Shift + R puts the current word into the Replace dialog, Ctrl + Shift + F into the Find dialog. You would like to have this without the keyboard, you want to do it with the mouse alone - right? You seem to be a mouse addict

I could add a "Find" and a "Replace" item to the context (right click popup) menu, if you wish.

JK

Comment

• Hi all,

V 2.4.6.3 is online, fixed a bug with "THREAD METHOD" in PowerThread objects (thanks Oleg), a few minor fixes, added "Find ..." and "Replace ..." to the context menu as Jim requested, some more changes to prepare the IDE for assembler code, WIP do not use!

JK

Comment

• Juergen, Both minor observations. Are you aware that the filenames on the tabs are changing between upper/lower/mixed case depending on if that tab is selected? Seems the red "X" flickers too.

Comment

• Hi Frank,

now that you say it... i can confirm that sometimes there are case changes - i never noticed it before! I will take care of it.

The red "X" sometimes gives a short flicker when you move the mouse through a tab, this seems to be a drawing or hittest problem with ownerdraw. I tried many things to get rid of it, but to no avail so far. The next things is, we have several machines in the family, and some give this flicker and some don´t at all. But it´s on my list of things i would like to fix.

JK

Comment

• Hi all,

V 2.4.6.4 is online, fixed an issue with wrong capitalization in tabs, another try to reduce flicker in tabs (thanks Frank! ). Hopefully the flicker is gone, revisiting the corresponding code just gave me yet another idea, at home it seems to work.

JK

Comment

• All fixed on both issues. Thanks!

Comment

• Juergen,
                I finally got back online today. My satellite modem was destroyed by local storms. Thank you!

Comment

• "My satellite modem was destroyed by local storms" Ouch, that sounds expensive. Before fiber arrived in the back of beyond (ie where I live) I considered going satellite. I'm curious how much it costs?

Comment

• James,
                    HughesNet 20 Gig a month first 2 years started at $50 a month then went to $83.20. Not sure that would qualify as an advancement over dialup. ha ha
                    At least it is faster than its satellite competitor. $10 for the replacement modem. Good thing I do not have kids at home. I'd be cursing right now like the farmers.

Comment

• Hi Jurgen, is there a way that I could change the background color in find, exchange, and functions drop down boxes?
                      Maybe an option to make them display with a standard color?

Sorry, but I do not agree with the light blue and pink background color you have chosen.

Mikael

Comment

• Hi Mikael,

i like using colors as a visual cue, different colors indicating different things, so it´s easier for the eye to catch important information or to navigate. Obviously tastes differ, and i cannot meet everybody´s taste - i will think about it.

JK

Comment

• Hi all,

V 2.4.6.5 is online, fixed an issue with debugging builds, continued lines in procedure headers could have caused problems, added "CHOOSE$" and "CHOOSE&" to the keywords list (thanks Theo), there is a new option "Default Background Color in Controls" in Color and Fonts Option Dialog, which sets default colors in Find/Replave Dialog and Codefinder Window as Mikael requested.

JK

Comment

• Hello Juergen,

After migrating from Windows 7/32 to Windows 10/64 now I have a strange fenomenon:
                            Everything works fine, except the TAB key.
                            If I press TAB anywhere, cursor jumps to column 55 and places a comment ( ' ) sign... (?)
                            If this a known issue / can I do something about it?
                            Re-installing didn't change anything...
                            Regards,
                            Peter

Comment

• You must have "Use Tabs" unchecked in the Editor Options screen. Try checking it. See help under "Special Editing Features". Might also be tied into "Editor PB Style".

Comment

• You are right!...
                                What is the use of that strange behaviour of the TAB key? (TAB is default disabled)
                                Regards,
                                Peter

Comment

• When I used to write a lot of assembler, column 55 (or whatever you set it to) was where the comment started. Sometimes one line of assembler needed multiple comment lines so it was quicker to tab to the comment column without typing anything else. Just my guess.

Comment

• Thanks,

Might have been easier to use SHIFT + TAB for that. (nobody I know uses backwards tabs anyway... )
                                    Is there a way to change the default exensions on File -> Open ? Now it is .BAS and .BI (are .BI files still used nowadays?)
                                    I use a lot of include files, so choosing .Bas and .Inc as defaults would be a lot easier... (saves me a few mouseclicks everytime)
                                    Regards,
                                    Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Lameijn View Post
                                      Might have been easier to use SHIFT + TAB for that. (nobody I know uses backwards tabs anyway... )
                                      Shift + Tab already has a very useful function. It comments out a block of code. (Ctrl+Shift+Tab un-comments a block)

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter
                                        are .BI files still used nowadays?
                                        FreeBASIC uses them for compiling libraries and JK-IDE can be used with FreeBASIC.

Comment

• Peter,

did you know, that you can just drop a file onto the IDE to open it. I could add a hot key (Shift + F3) for .inc files to be the default in the Open File Dialog. F3 defaults to .bas/.bi. Would that be of help?

Personally i don´t use tabs when coding. With a fixed font and auto indentation (i prefer an indent of 2 spaces) there isn´t really a need for tabs. But i do like comments. Very often you can see comments intermixed with code. A line of comment followed by a line of code or vice versa. But with this method there are two major drawbacks (IMHO):
                                          - the code is not easy to read, it´s difficult for the eye to extract, what´s code and what´s comment, even with syntax highlighting.
                                          - you need a lot of extra lines for comments, meaning you have less code in a single screen.

Therefore i prefer inline comments (appended to the end of the code). To make this more readable i align these comments to a specific column. So you have the code on the left side and the corresponding comment to the right. If i don´t get, what the code does, i look to the right side and hopefully there is a useful comment..

So i mis-use the tab key for three things:
                                          - add a comment character after the actual code aligned to a speciific column and place the caret afterwards. Now i can add my comment(s)
                                          - place the caret at the beginning of an existing comment in this line, so i can easily edit it
                                          - re-align the comment to my specific column, if there were changes in code shifting the comment.

I use this feature all the time, because it makes commenting so much easier for me.

JK

Comment

Working...
                                          X