OAuth 2.0 Example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OAuth 2.0 Example

I put together an example that shows how to get OAuth 2.0 bearer and refresh tokens and the process involved. You can download it here:

cstools10-dotnet-oauth2-examples.zip

You'll need the current version of SocketTools, and you'll need to make one change to the include file we provide. When I was writing this, I found a bug in one of the function declarations. What's in the include file right now is this:
    Code:
    DECLARE FUNCTION HttpSendResponseW STDCALL LIB "cshtsv10.dll" ALIAS "HttpSendResponseW" ( _
        BYVAL hServer AS DWORD, _
        BYVAL nClientId AS LONG, _
        BYVAL dwOptions AS DWORD, _
        BYVAL lpResponse AS HTTPRESPONSEW, _
        BYREF lpvBuffer AS DWORD, _
        BYVAL dwLength AS DWORD _
    ) AS LONG

DECLARE FUNCTION HttpSendResponseA STDCALL LIB "cshtsv10.dll" ALIAS "HttpSendResponseA" ( _
        BYVAL lpResponse AS HTTPRESPONSEA, _
    ) AS LONG
    And it should be changed to this:
    Code:
    DECLARE FUNCTION HttpSendResponseW STDCALL LIB "cshtsv10.dll" ALIAS "HttpSendResponseW" ( _
        BYREF lpResponse AS HTTPRESPONSEW, _
    ) AS LONG

DECLARE FUNCTION HttpSendResponseA STDCALL LIB "cshtsv10.dll" ALIAS "HttpSendResponseA" ( _
        BYREF lpResponse AS HTTPRESPONSEA, _
    ) AS LONG
    The fourth parameter was declared as BYVAL and it should be BYREF. We'll have that fixed for the next update we release, but in the meantime you'll need to edit the CSTOOLS10.INC include file for this example to work correctly.

Mike Stefanik
    sockettools.com

Another thing to keep in mind is that this example will explicitly look for Chrome or Firefox on your system if you have IE as your default browser. Unfortunately, Google no longer supports IE and will throw JavaScript errors if you try to use it when logging in.

One thing I discovered while writing this is there's no great way to force a browser to close its window after you're done with it. They won't accept WM_CLOSE messages sent to their top-level window (WinSpy++ confirms they just ignore the message) and you can't use JavaScript to automatically close a browser window, so going that route won't work. From what I can tell, using TerminateProcess was the only guaranteed way to force the browser window closed, and that's like using a sledgehammer. Chrome will also complain that it wasn't closed properly the next time you open it.

So, this just closes the handles to the process and leaves the browser open. You'll need to close it manually after you've logged in with Google or Microsoft. If someone knows a way to force the browser to close without using TerminateProcess, let me know and I'd be happy to incorporate it into the example..
    Mike Stefanik
    sockettools.com

Comment

Mike, is it possible to use the browser controls recently published in the forums and then you're in control - I have not looked at your code yet to see if the URL can be managed this way?

Comment

I have no problem to close Microsoft Edge Canary from an external application.
        Patrice Terrier
        www.zapsolution.com
        www.objreader.com
        Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo Pagani View Post
          Mike, is it possible to use the browser controls recently published in the forums and then you're in control - I have not looked at your code yet to see if the URL can be managed this way?
          As long as the control doesn't use the Trident engine (Internet Explorer) and supports Javascript, I imagine it would be fine. Using an embedded browser is ideal, but that's really a developer choice and what tools they want to use. When Microsoft finishes their work on the WebView2 SDK, I think that'll be the best solution. Chromium based, supported on Windows 7 and later and so on. But right now it's still under development, and requires the Canary build of Edge, which isn't really viable for end-users.
          Mike Stefanik
          sockettools.com

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice Terrier View Post
            I have no problem to close Microsoft Edge Canary from an external application.
            Interesting, I hadn't tested the latest Edge with this. My focus was on testing this with Firefox and Chrome, since I figured if people had Edge and were okay with that, they could just use the WebView control. With .NET, the best option short of WebView2 is probably GeckoFX. For ActiveX controls, perhaps WebKitX? I haven't played around with that one.
            Mike Stefanik
            sockettools.com

Comment

Working...
            X