Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Mark in varchar argument creates ERROR_BAD_PARAM_VALUE

Hiya,

A client of mine has been using one of my programs (with SQL Tools) in a production environment for about 7-8 years and I can't believe that this is the first time I have seen this. My program waits for text files to arrive in a folder then loads the data from the file into an SQL table. I audit everything so here is a copy of the command that was executed in the PB program:

SQL_ResSetArray( "EXEC [dbo].[ORD_Detail_Add] @FK_Ord_Header = 44772, @SKU_Ref = '44816', @Quantity = 1, @SKU_Desc = 'Whats Up Doc?'",BYREF aResultSet(), 0, 0)

This instruction fails with a ERROR_BAD_PARAM_VALUE error.
    When the question mark in the @SKU_Desc argument is removed, the instruction processes fine.
    I can also exec the same statement (with the question mark included) in SSMS and it works fine.
    It also does not matter where in the string the question mark appears. I get the error either way.

I have a hard time believing that question marks are not allowed in string fields/varchar columns. I also have trouble believing this is the first time this has happened although I am open to the possibility.

What am I missing?

"?" denotes a parameter in a prepared SQL statement.

Try escaping it by replacing the "?" with "\?" or "??"

Comment

Thanks for that Stuart. Tried both of your suggestions but to no avail.

In addition, am I really using prepared statements when I call SQL_ResSetArray() directly?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McLachlan View Post
        Thanks for that Stuart. Tried both of your suggestions but to no avail.

In addition, am I really using prepared statements when I call SQL_ResSetArray() directly?
        My suggestion was just that (a suggestion) since I haven't come across the problem.

Probably Eric will pop in soon with a definitive answer.
        (I'll be very interested in what he has to say since this could well bite me one day as well(

Comment

I appreciate that Stuart. I just pinged Eric to see what he has to say.

Comment

Hi Jim,

> SQL_ResSetArray
            > ERROR_BAD_PARAM_VALUE

I'm pretty sure your version of SQL Tools needs a patch. Send an email to [email protected] and we'll get you fixed up.

> am I really using prepared statements when I call SQL_ResSetArray() directly?

No, the SQL_ResSetArray function does not use any prepared statements, it direct-executes the SQL statement that you pass to it.
            "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Eric,

Does that mean that Jim is using an early version or is it a problem with the current version?

(I'm using ver 3.14.0.0 Pro dated dated 29 Jun 2012. )

Comment

Morning Stuart. I replied to Eric off-line. You and I have the same version.

Comment

Ditto...

-John

Comment

HI Eric, is there a update to v3.14 standard/pro available?

Comment

Hi Eric,

Just checking in to see how the fix is coming along.

Comment

Working...
                      X