Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&a /s&d

Wow!

I go away for a couple of days, when I get back I'm two weeks behind.

That is not a complaint.

While I have not looked at everything in detail, I did a quick look, see, at all PM and posts.

Incidentally, I started the Question and Answer/Supply and Demand Thread for questions and or information of a general nature that apply to any or all of us.

A few things I can address right away.

Stan,
    Chris aptly pointed out that continued use of the PM system will quickly mean archival and retrieval issues. Could we not make use of this forum for our messages by keeping a thread in each of our names. I don't think there is much need for secrecy from each other, and if there is it can still go the PM route.

Could we also keep a thread in this forum that only you post to that lists the current volunteers. Any changes would bring the thread to the fore so each of us would notice.

I am in favor of letting Brian run with the SVN set up as he sees fit. At this point I see no benefit to the group in me, and me only, having access to the main thread.

Elias and Chris,
    As I stated in my PM to each of you earlier feel free to take tasks from the task list, whether I'm around or not. The task list will be our ultimate guide to getting this job done. Thank you both for your replies.

I have not had a chance to get into the coding supplied at this point, and when I do I might find myself further behind. Not lost, just way, way back there.

Fred alluded to something about using longs on an issue and I think I want to address it, for from what I think he was saying it was something I was trying to get a handle on in my post in the "my $0.02 worth" thread. But after 1500 kilometers in twenty-eight hours I'm in need of sleep(I might also be confusing issues)

Rod
    Rod
    I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Rod,

I agree. I have been overusing the PM lately. No reason to do that anymore.

As far as the me-only thread, it's the Project Status Monitor Thread.

Stan
    Do not go quiet into that good night,
    ... Rage, rage against the dark.

Comment

Somewhere previously I posted that I didn't have a copy of VB6 and I didn't want one. I still don't want one, but I'm beginning to think I need one.

The MSDN pages do give me the keywords and reserved words, but as they apply to VB.net as opposed to VB6.

I have run across changes to certain keywords, how they function, parameters and so forth. But it doesn't clearly show what it was changed from, which is what we need.

Where does one get an inexpensive version?(I've searched.)

Rod
      Rod
      I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
        Somewhere previously I posted that I didn't have a copy of VB6 and I didn't want one. I still don't want one, but I'm beginning to think I need one.

The MSDN pages do give me the keywords and reserved words, but as they apply to VB.net as opposed to VB6.

I have run across changes to certain keywords, how they function, parameters and so forth. But it doesn't clearly show what it was changed from, which is what we need.

Where does one get an inexpensive version?(I've searched.)

Rod
        Used to be able to pick one up on eBay under $100, but I was looking at it today and reputable sellers are asking $200+ for New-In-The-Box VB6 Pro, more for Enterprise. Some still available cheap, but the closer the end of bidding, the higher the price goes.

Have you tried this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.60%29.aspx

It's VB6.0 MSDN.

Stan
        Last edited by StanHelton; 14 Jun 2008, 06:54 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

Yes, I saw those prices. I saw one for $384.00.

Thanks for the link, somehow I went astray.

Now I can make a little progress on the syntax end of it.

I even went searching my old books to see if I could find my old, old, old, VB circa 1990? I don't remember the version #. I did find my Old, Old, Turbo Basic manual, the cover missing, pages all present but loose. I think I paid $99.00 way back in the late eighties.

Rod
          Rod

Comment

I've a Visual Basic 5 Standard Edition I'd be willing to mail to anyone who might need it. Its fully legal. I bought it in the mid nineties, and don't have it installed on any of my computers anymore. I had offered it to Chris, but he finally managed to get a copy.

I actually have just about every VB version, even VB DOS. The only ones I don't have are VB Windows 1 and 2. Shortly after I purchased that VB 5 I bought the pro edition for myself, and I have VB4 Pro and VB6 Enterprise at work. In my opinion the biggest differences between the Standard, Professional, and Enterprise edition are in the Packaging and Deployment Add In. I havn't had VB 5 standard installed for a long time, but I'm not sure there is much in the way of a Packaging and Deployment Add in With that. The pro editions have a pretty decent one unless you app requires ActiveX Dlls you've made yourself. The Enterprise Edition comes with a Packaging And Deployment program that I really like and have used a great deal.

I believe the Standard Edition would serve very well for anyone on this project who needs to be able to occasionally deal with VB, but doesn't intend to sell or distribute VB programs to anyone else. It contains full database access functionality, use and creation of ActiveX controls, and so forth.
            Fred
            "fharris"+Chr$(64)+"evenlink"+Chr$(46)+"com"

Comment

Thanks Fred, I may not need it now that Stan's pointed me in the right direction. That MSDN site has so many near misses and related issues that I some how took a wrong turn and could seem to find my way back.

I feel I really only need the Documentation for VB for this project, along with several example files for clarification. I don't think I need to try running anything to understand the programming aspect. But I was wrong once in 1962 so....

Actually, I'll get more done if I don't have the ability to play with it. I will keep it in mind, thanks once again.

Rod
              Rod

Comment

Some useful files from John Heathcote

John Heathcote wanted to contribute something to the project. Here are a couple of files illustrating his method of hand conversion. Right now this is general information. It provides another viewpoint on how these conversions get done.

His examples are specific to converting VB functions to PB functions.
                Attached Files

Comment

It has been over 48 hours since a post has been made, do I carry on assuming that "No news is good news."

Rod
                  Rod

Comment

It has been over 48 hours since a post has been made, do I carry on assuming that "No news is good news."

Rod
                    Yes! I've been experimenting with the SVN Brian set up so that I can use it properly. I'm also trying to integrate the code Fred and Chris left us into something I can understand and use.

The work you are doing is essential. Although we're not going to use an SQL type database, we still need the reference tables you are building. The parser will pick apart the VB codeLines and compare terms to the reference table then the tokenizer will make the straight forward conversions. For more complex translations we'll use Fred's concept of PB wrappers to interpret functions and objects.

My work plan over the next few days is to separate out the parser from the tokenizer code Fred and Chris left us. There is some overlap between these two functions in their code and I want to make them as discreet as possible to simplify implementation. You know, modularize everything and make it easier to maintain & update.

I hope to post some working source code into the SVN site today. If you need any help let me know, Rod. Elias has some personal issues that are keeping him busy right now, but he will be back as soon as the home front settles down for him.

I'm thinking we can make another public announcement about our progress once I get all this source code sorted out. They made a lot of progress before they signed off.

Stan

Comment

They made a lot of progress before they signed off.
                      Agreed on that.

I haven't yet figured out the SVN thingy yet, every time I approach it I seem to get stymied, which may be because there is nothing concrete in it yet. I don't want to put anything there for the time being.(in case I mess things up) When you need more of that file let me know, until then I'll just keep plugging. I have lots to do, and when I've got that done, lots more.

Rod
                      Rod

Comment

I haven't yet figured out the SVN thingy yet, every time I approach it I seem to get stymied, which may be because there is nothing concrete in it yet.
                        Hopefully, I can start changing that today.

When you need more of that file let me know, until then I'll just keep plugging. I have lots to do, and when I've got that done, lots more.

Rod
                        Is that utility working well for you? Do you need me to make any more changes to it?

On those files -- daily updates would not be a problem. You could email to me if you like and I'll put them up in the SVN. Ongoing updates is what SVN is all about anyway.

Stan

Comment

Oh, one more thing -- what do you think about putting that utility up in the SVN Tools directory?

Stan

Comment

I'm still using the PB IDE because of the syntax highlighting to help maintain accuracy, but if others are going to make submissions then it might be a good idea.

Changes to the utility:
                            Can you make it so a double click on both the forward and back buttons would jump 10 places instead of one. Or even a setting so that it moves to what ever is set. That file is going to get rather large, and it's also going to have some things that don't have either a PB term or a VB term. You'll see.

I will send off a copy of the Dict file to you later today.

Rod
                            Rod

Comment

I'm still using the PB IDE because of the syntax highlighting to help maintain accuracy, but if others are going to make submissions then it might be a good idea.

Changes to the utility:
                              Can you make it so a double click on both the forward and back buttons would jump 10 places instead of one. Or even a setting so that it moves to what ever is set. That file is going to get rather large, and it's also going to have some things that don't have either a PB term or a VB term. You'll see.

I will send off a copy of the Dict file to you later today.

Rod

Will do!

Stan

Comment

Agreed on that.

I haven't yet figured out the SVN thingy yet, every time I approach it I seem to get stymied, which may be because there is nothing concrete in it yet. I don't want to put anything there for the time being.(in case I mess things up) When you need more of that file let me know, until then I'll just keep plugging. I have lots to do, and when I've got that done, lots more.

Rod
                                If you want to test/play with SVN I created a test repository http://svn.iterationsoft.com/test... If it gets messed up, it can be recreated so try things here.

Also if things get messed up they can most likely be backed out.

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Rod
                                  Rod

Comment

I'm using some source code from this site:http://www.freevbcode.com/
                                    Don't know if it is of any help to anyone.
                                    I'm still having issues with SVN, but I'll get over them with usage.

Rod
                                    Rod

Comment

I'm using some source code from this site:http://www.freevbcode.com/
                                      Don't know if it is of any help to anyone.
                                      I'm still having issues with SVN, but I'll get over them with usage.

Rod
                                      Yeah, it's not really intuitive at first. I'll check out that site. Like I've said before, I don't like reinventing wheels.

Stan

later: Looks like a good code source, Rod. Drive ON!
                                      Last edited by StanHelton; 6 Jul 2008, 02:59 PM. Reason: add tag later

Comment

Rod,

Are you still using that comma delimited format for the terms? I've been working with my copy of the DCT file and it looks like the file is corrupted.

Stan

Comment

Working...
                                        X