Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodney Hicks
    replied
    Do any of you gentlemen have some working VB apps that you have the source code to that you could send me the associated text based files. It doesn't matter how large the app is, and I don't need the exe, but if you were to include a screenshot of the various windows included in the app I'd appreciate it.

I'm asking this because most of what I find on the internet, while it may be the whole file, I have no way of knowing for sure because I don't have VB, am not yet used to VB, and I don't know what I should be checking for. *.BAS *.INC *.BI *.CTL *.CLS *.VBW *.VBP *.FRM are the text based files that I'm aware of.

I could use three or four such apps if you would send them to me.

[email protected]
    TIA

Leave a comment:

• John R. Heathcote
    replied
    Rod,

Well done!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Hicks
    replied
    Success!!! Of a sort.

I have created a nested program, that is a program that creates another .bas file that can be compiled and run without error. What is more, it also loads into PBForms and displays the way I meant it to display. First try. So really it wasn't all that hard.

It's not much to look at, at this time, it's just that I'm pleased that this mountain of mine turned itself into a molehill.

However, it does create the framework for the converted code, up to a point, which was my goal.

On to the next mountain.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Hicks
    replied
    Pardon me while I vent a little.

I have nested FOR/NEXT, IF/THEN/ELSE/ELSEIF/END IF, SELECT/CASE, DO/LOOP, WHILE/WEND, within their own kind and in mixed company. I never considered the possiblity of nesting PROGRAMS which is exactly what this process is.

This keeps up I might end up a decent programmer.

Leave a comment:

• StanHelton
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
    Stan's last post indicated that he was busy putting food on his table, and as such I took it to mean that while he couldn't help much right now, he didn't want us to be held back. We'll hear from him when the time is right.
    You are correct. I am currently traveling quite a lot and I don't have regular access to the internet. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I decided to take this step on my own to get us more information, and fresher views, as I was originally his second in command so to speak by virtue of being his most vocal supporter in getting this off the ground. I don't feel that this tactic will hurt the converter project as long as they understand that the app that I post is not to be relied on for conversion, but getting data back to us to make a converter for them. ...
    I like the idea and your reasons for doing it. I say drive on. It looks like I may have some time to do some serious work on vb2pb over the next 4 or 5 days, but I can't promise results that fast. I will post code asap.

Stan

Leave a comment:

• John R. Heathcote
    replied
    Rod,

Yes, I am referring to feedback on your diagnostic capabilities. Right now I would not attempt to code anything more in your application other than what you already have planned.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Hicks
    replied
    I would also suggest that we need to accept feedback on the diagnostic aspect of the your application as well.
    I'm not sure if I can build that into the app, but it will definitely be supported via the feedback route. This app is not going to be a world shaker, even complaints about it will be a diagnosis of sorts.

Leave a comment:

• John R. Heathcote
    replied
    Rod,

I would also suggest that we need to accept feedback on the diagnostic aspect of the your application as well. It occurs to me that the converter will need diagnostic capabilities as well to help in parsing the original VB source code, so as to aid in the conversion to PB. So there is value in what you have proposed.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Hicks
    replied
    I would make it very well known somewhere in the app, either an "About" screen, or in the Readme.txt file, or both, that what the user sees in NOT the final incarnation of the converter.
    It will impressed upon the world at large that it is not even the first pre-alpha version of the converter, that its sole purpose is for diagnostics, hence the file to be returned. Some converting is done solely for diagnostic reasons, and that is one of the areas that will be generating feedback. This will be explained to those that read the readme.txt file in its entirety.

Stan's last post indicated that he was busy putting food on his table, and as such I took it to mean that while he couldn't help much right now, he didn't want us to be held back. We'll hear from him when the time is right.

I decided to take this step on my own to get us more information, and fresher views, as I was originally his second in command so to speak by virtue of being his most vocal supporter in getting this off the ground. I don't feel that this tactic will hurt the converter project as long as they understand that the app that I post is not to be relied on for conversion, but getting data back to us to make a converter for them.

Without going into too much detail, suffice it to say that I, by myself, could not write a decent converter at my present level of programming ability. My thinking is too linear. I also don't want anyone to think that their work is in vain, because my app is not intended to bypass the much better methods and plans that have been put forth so far.

Leave a comment:

• John R. Heathcote
    replied
    Rod,

I agree we need to get something out into the user's hands so we can get the feedback we all need as to the direction and functionality of our software that is desired by the user community. I would make it very well known somewhere in the app, either an "About" screen, or in the Readme.txt file, or both, that what the user sees in NOT the final incarnation of the converter. Comments and suggestions will be welcome.

As far as the converter/diagnostic app goes, it is my impression that we can convert VB source code modules somewhat, but forms are another matter. I think we all know what we want to do, we just don't have a clear idea of how to do it. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that a VB project is a series of interconnected files (obviously), and that we should deal with any conversions on a project level.

I would say go ahead with your app.

What does Stan think about your plan? Haven't heard from him in a while.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney Hicks
    started a topic Diagnostics

Diagnostics

Gentlemen

While I know there are a host of items that we've not got ironed out, most of the immediately pressing items have been articulated to some degree or another here in this forum. We could go on infinitum finding things to worry about without getting even a slightly functional product out of this project. There may be things that we never get satisfied with, individually or collectively.

If all things could be considered, created, and compiled into an application we wouldn't have applications like PowerBASIC versions 1 to 9. VB versions 1 to %WHATEVER, WINDOW versions 1 to $INFINITY*2. Some things have to be left for a future version.

Most of the answers we need to create version ONE are already present somewhere in this forum, buried in one thread or another. We'll never have enough information to create the ultimate converter without getting version ONE out in the hands of the users. We need their feedback.

So I'm going to throw a curve at you.

I have begun creating version ONE for the masses.
    It won't be pretty.
    It won't be very functional.
    It won't be well coded.
    It won't be intuitive.
    It won't provide user options.
    It won't have a help file, just a readme.txt file.
    It won't supply the source code for the converter.
    It won't be called a converter either.

It will be called a diagnostic application.
    It will ask potential users, or anyone that wants to experiment, or anyone that wants to help without getting too involved to put the program through the motions with code from a code repository already established on the net.
    It will generate a minimal PB .bas file for the daring.
    It will generate a file of known required modifications to the source code file. These may be embedded in the source code as well.
    It will generate a file to be returned to us for each conversion attempt.
    It will request OS version. (All information thus acquired will only be used for converter development)

Its intent will be:
    To gather information regarding the number of potential users.
    To gather information to guide conversion needs.
    To prompt user feedback.
    To develop potential recruits to the cause.
    To provide information on several fronts, like a feedback system.
    To ensure that new users are aware of the project.
    To help maintain a rapport with the fora at large.

Please feel free to:
    Tell me not to do it(anyone with access to this forum)I will listen to reason.
    Request that I gather specific information.
    Advise me on attitude.*

Please don't ask me to explain it all here before I have it ready. You will see it before it goes to the potential users and have a chance to make a suggestions for improvement that may be made. Alternatively, if anyone thinks this is a good idea can make a list of all information that I should be sure to seek. My input into the converter forum may wane while I pursue this avenue, but I will be lurking not far away.

The list of wonts and wills may grow with development. The target really is more information.
    This effort is not being put forth to delay any activity on development of the converter, so anyone working on any aspect should carry on. You may get the converter finished before I get the diagnostic application functioning, but I don't think so.

*My attitude towards this whole converter idea is that the converter should become a reality, sooner instead of later. I will be working on it in some way shape of form for quite some time. While each and every one of us has our own reasons for being granted access to this forum, I feel we are too small a group to define all the converter features, even though we have done a very good job to this point. I have an immense amount of faith in this project, and there has been a great deal of thought, work, and explaning put into a great many aspects. Due to the volunteer nature of all aspects of preparing the converter, a great deal of tolerance and acceptance is required for and from each of us, but we also have to be cognizant that we won't know if the product is indeed a solution until users have had a say. To get that we need to be giving them something to give us feedback on.

My intention is to post it as a volunteer of the group looking after this aspect of the project. Any repercussions should be on my head only. Allocades to all the members of the project. Diagnostics will be made the focus, with very little reliability on what converting is done. Users will be told to expect something possibly quite different from the layout of the converter user interface.
Working...
X